I suggest you ...

freenet linux

I would like to see a linux distribution, prolly based on debian or ubuntu, that has freenet and other aspects of cryptography deeply integrated into the system from first install. I feel it is very important to get as many people on freenet as possible, but it is a complicated concept to grasp (that doesn't make it any less important).

233 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    luchtanluchtan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    toadAdmintoad (Admin, Freenet Project Inc.) responded  · 

How would making a livecd or other form of distribution make Freenet a less complicated concept? It would be useful to have an easily deployable node however, using a USB stick or swap space… But this is out of scope for the project proper, maybe some volunteer will build it. And you will still need to complete the wizard in any case to specify your security settings, and you might need to specify which drives to use etc.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mohammad KaMohammad Ka commented  · 

tor has a linux distro, I think freenet should be added on it as a default tool.

• naestennaesten commented  · 

@ianclarke: it could, uh, automatically lose your files?

• InfectedInfected commented  · 

When freenet is more popular, I think it'll be possible to sell preconfigured freenet systems. Just a small, efficient PC that can run 24/7 and provide freenet services on the LAN. So a custum distro could be optimized for this purpose (archlinux + freenet ?) and it could also be free so anyone could turn an old PC into a dedicated freenet server for their LAN. Most computers are noisy and energy wasters so it makes sense to shut them down when not in use and have only the 1 efficient box handling everything.

• toadAdmintoad (Admin, Freenet Project Inc.) commented  · 

It's not a bad idea, but it is indeed out of scope for us. Hopefully somebody will do something though ... there are various privacy focused livecd projects already.. maybe they could be forked, or freenet functionality added on.

With regards to freenet filesystem, it's not an exact match, you need a way to commit, also for read, it won't be listable in the upper dirs (like ftpfs / andrew fs).

• enigmaenigma commented  · 

Within Linux, FUSE (http://fuse.sourceforge.net/) is the right basis. for example mkdir /freenet/newdir creates a new pair of user keys. One Dir is RO for the public site, one is a RW one for content management. A successful read to a public key of an other user will create an visible entry to the freenet directory like host names in SUN's /net auto-mounting folder. (autofs V4) Thats usefull!

• enigmaenigma commented  · 

In the past freenet was communicated as communication system, but it is more a distributed file system then an communication platform. In my opinion, the right support is file system to mount freenet! frost my be substitute by an local apache with /freenet as htdocs root point. Creating private key may be done with some specific mkdir. Insert management may be done internally; publishing by a cp

• p12p11p12p11 commented  · 

My proposal is a VMware image containing:
        latest ubuntu
        20G hdd space
        freenet + some freenet tools
        Tor
        other useful tools and tweaks you might consider

• luchtanluchtan commented  · 

Gosh, you could also have all the TOR stuff, the smallmail, the privoxy stuff configured out of the box....

Also, whenever a user logs in or the machine turns on, you can spoof the mac address immediately. I don't know how to do this but I bet it could be put in some sort of start-up or log-in script.

I am not going to over-comment this post. I could add more ideas, but I am limited as to how many characters I can write. Is there a way to edit the original suggestion?

Some ideas on specifics:
        *Create a PGP key profile with every user account
        *Create a partition specifically for storing freenet content
        *Move the freenet wizard to the install
        *Have an extra alternately branded browser, 'fuego zorro' so to speak, which is used only to connect to freenet and has it's own profile. This can help separate the 'freenet' from the 'internet' in the user's mind.

Ok.
        I don't think that it would make, say, the concept of the freenet network topology any less complicated, but the idea of what it is and how to integrate it into your browsing might be made clearer with a freenet/security-conscious/rebel's distribution. Perhaps it is out of the scope of this project, but I will try and add some specifics as requested in the comment in another comment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base