I suggest you ...

Move away from Java (consider Lua)

Both the U.S. Department of Justice and NSA have issued statements recommending that everyone stops using Java, due to fundamental flaws on both the JVM and the language itself that make Java software genetally insecure. Moreover, Java code tends to have performance and memory leaking issues. Would you consider moving to or allowing a fork of Freenet in another language?

Lua comes to mind, as it can run as fast as compiled C code. It is also much easier to learn, which could help bring more developers on board.

140 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gabriel MongefrancoGabriel Mongefranco shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HaakonHaakon commented  · 

NSA and DoJ aren't talking about the Java language they are talking about the browser plugin that everybody hates.

I don't think they're using that, so it's not fundamentally unsafe.

• BlakeBlake commented  · 

People know C. If you take some time and compare the number of open
        source projects written in Java vs. C/C++, you will see that C/C++ has a
        significant lead over Java. C has been around for decades and as a result
        there are many many people who are proficient in the language. Choosing a
        language that lots of people know is a good way to get volunteers.

• anonymousanonymous commented  · 

Listen to your users. You've shut down other requests to stop using Java, and yet people keep asking you because they are worried about Java. It's time to take a hard good look at things and decide if your users' voice really counts.

• FelixFelix commented  · 

Java is slow and full of security bugs. What a terrible idea and hypocrisy it is to write a security software in the most insecure language! Please move away from Java. +1

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

That would be a ton of work, but java isn't safe, it's worth it.

• Blaster RocketeerBlaster Rocketeer commented  · 

I second a re-write in a non-Java language. C++ or Lua for speed and performance (particularly with LuaJIT), or Node.js or VB.NET/ASP.NET to gain more developers.

Feedback and Knowledge Base