I suggest you ...

Remove 24/7 asumption

Most people don't run ther computer and thus nodes 24/7 - only geeks do.
By releasing this assumption more people should get to freenet.
Things to do:
Speed up restarting and reintegration into the network by caching opennet connections 1-2 days.
Passive requests so data is coming closer even when offline.
Mechanism so many short term IP's don't clutter local files (IP change every few hours)

108 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anoonanoon shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  toadAdmintoad (Admin, Freenet Project Inc.) responded  · 

IMHO this is important, but some of the changes needed may be difficult. You are always likely to gain speed from running it 24×7, but there is much we can do to speed up assimilation on opennet. I am hopeful that eventually small set top box type devices will be able to run Freenet… Of course, on darknet, this is way harder, because the darknet may not be connected at all, so we will need long-term requests for it to work.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • InfectedInfected commented  · 

I think freenet should still optimize for 24/7 use, you could run it on an old pc that is out of the way (in a closet or basement) and access the web GUI from your noisy, power sucking computers and it will keep working when they are offline. Most people with TV leave the sat/cable receiver running 24/7, a small freenet box could eventually replace the subscription receiver (being the same size, power consumption, etc)

Feedback and Knowledge Base