I suggest you ...

Make FMS/Freetalk part of the Freenet project

A working messaging system (FMS/Freetalk) could be included in the core Freenet project and some fraction of time could be dedicated to it.

Currently the lack of a working, trusted, bundled messaging system contrasts with good usability of core Freenet. This is an issue for end users and harms user retention, because communities cannot exist without messaging. (Some people stopped running Freenet node altogether since Frost is unavailable).

The proposal is:
- As a minimum, Freenet devs could review FMS/Freenet specs and publish an official "RFC-like" specifications for Freenet messaging. This would settle disputes over minor details. Making trusted specifications is of utmost importance too, because several messaging standards failed in the past (FMB, Frost) and both developers and users mistrust any new standard assuming it is fundamentally flawed too.

- Ideally, Matthew could spend some time (say ~3 months) working on the messaging system. This could be a good alternative to the (proposed) diversion of donations to other projects. I am sure that most people would appreciate the trade-off: getting a working messaging system, even if core Freenet schedule is delayed few months.

163 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    redbu11redbu11 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    started  ·  toadAdmintoad (Admin, Freenet Project Inc.) responded  · 

Freetalk is an official plugin, but is not ready for wide usage yet, due to serious performance problems. xor is working on improving the WebOfTrust backend, which should solve most of these problems. This should happen in the fairly near future as xor is now paid by FPI for this task. Meanwhile you can use FMS, and look into Sone, a microblogging tool similar to popular social networks, but anonymous.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • naestennaesten commented  · 

toad, I heard that you told p0s about strategies that should be more efficient than the ones FMS uses in theory, but that SomeDude had found the opposite to be the case in practice, and that p0s refuses to budge...

Does this spec you say p0s published have a URI of some kind?

•  pqs pqs commented  · 

I agree, now many people run freenet for a wile and then just stop running it because they don't see an obvius utility. With forums, Freenet would be useful, people could talk to each other and share keys to obtain music, films, and other interesting stuff. That would motivate many people to use Freenet.

• redbu11redbu11 commented  · 

to elaborate: We want users to run Freenet 24x7 but offer no motivation to use freenet
        on the daily basis. An average user has _nothing to do_ in Freenet after exploring few flogs and freesites. Think of Freenet using valuable bandwidth, and the user has all reasons to stop running Freenet after a week or so.
        Unlike freesites, anonymous forums offer a good reason to run Freenet over time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base