General

Welcome to our official feedback forum. Do you have an idea? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Write a killer file-sharing application

The title essentially says it all. Freenet would increase notably in popularity if it could be used to reliably and efficiently share files. This would at a minimum entail (a) a good search engine and (b) a mechanism to preserve the integrity of files. The latter could either be reinsertion of missing blocks by seeders, or simply removing files from the search results when they lose their integrity.

716 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

One of our Summer of Code students is working on a file search plugin. This should make it easier to upload and download files, rather than having to rely mostly on asking for files on forums, as happens now.

There is already a “Keepalive” unofficial plugin to ensure that files remain on Freenet. We will look into improving this and integrating it better into Freenet. Generally this should be used by people other than the original inserter for security reasons.

• one GUI for all

For new (non-technical) users it may be very difficult to understand what they really need, how to do it and how to use it.

The entry point of an application plus its visible style, the user interface aso. are playing the biggest role for acceptance nowadays.

Therefore there may be the need of a GUI (I imagine one written in XUL, so it runs on all plattforms, easily extensible, aso., we are already using a custom firefox profile so why don't write our own user interface?) that provides all mechanisms that are available throughout the freenet network. File sharing, messaging,…

434 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

It is not necessary for a user interface to be “standalone” for it to be easy to use. The most urgent priority has to be improving the existing web interface: Make it easier to use, make it easier to do what you want to do (chat, filesharing etc). Currently, xor is working on improving the WebOfTrust backend so that Sone (our microblogging tool), FlogHelper (a site insert tool), Freemail etc will work better. Freemail v0.2 will be included in the next build and works much better than Freemail v0.1. We have a student working on filesharing, see the top voted poll. Meanwhile we have _mak working on redesigning the web interface to make it easier to use and more attractive/modern.

• Make FMS/Freetalk part of the Freenet project

A working messaging system (FMS/Freetalk) could be included in the core Freenet project and some fraction of time could be dedicated to it.

Currently the lack of a working, trusted, bundled messaging system contrasts with good usability of core Freenet. This is an issue for end users and harms user retention, because communities cannot exist without messaging. (Some people stopped running Freenet node altogether since Frost is unavailable).

The proposal is:
        - As a minimum, Freenet devs could review FMS/Freenet specs and publish an official "RFC-like" specifications for Freenet messaging. This would settle disputes over minor details. Making trusted specifications…

163 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Freetalk is an official plugin, but is not ready for wide usage yet, due to serious performance problems. xor is working on improving the WebOfTrust backend, which should solve most of these problems. This should happen in the fairly near future as xor is now paid by FPI for this task. Meanwhile you can use FMS, and look into Sone, a microblogging tool similar to popular social networks, but anonymous.

• Less hard drive, more RAM use

The HDD activity is worrying/annoying me.
          Freenet on = constant HDD activity =
          - less life for my hard drive (I care less about the money than the data on it)
          - the system is VERY laggy (Win7 x64 OS on a different drive than Freenet)
          - noisy

I've noticed FN creates HUNDREADS of little (32kB) fragmented files. Can't this data be placed in RAM and dumped every minute or so? Inside a big, not fragmented, file?

50 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Recent builds should improve this significantly: although there is more work to do, disk writes related to the database should be significantly reduced. I’m assuming you had lots of downloads queued?

• Migrate Freenet wiki to Mediawiki

Mirate Freenet wiki (http://wiki.freenetproject.org/) to standard MediaWiki.

MediaWiki is a de facto standard for wiki software (used by wikipedia for example).

Wikka Wakka that we have now uses slightly different wiki code dialect and a different GUI. It may require some additional effort to learn and thus limit users contribution.

14 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • FEC support for 64-bit (linux)

If i am not mistaken, freenet does not support FEC for 64-bit (linux) systems.
              (Or i was to dumb to get it running)

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • SVG support

Would be nice if Scalable Vector Graphics could be allowed like jpeg or png images. While providing very good quality at any scale, SVGs keep being very light. The ability to look into the source code makes them a lot safer than proprietary formats.

Firefox already supports SVG. Integration looks like this:
                object type="image/svg+xml" data="image.svg" /object

May SVG integration be part of Freenet one day ?

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)