General

Welcome to our official feedback forum. Do you have an idea? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Remove all completed downloads button

Currently you have to klick on each download to remove it from the list of completed downloads with a resulting pagereload...
    It would be much better to just have a butten remove all, or have checkboxes to select the downloads and remove all selected...

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Admin →
    • Use AES

Many platforms now have hardware AES engines. Utilizing the current custom crypto may be more secure, but in real terms, it likely doesn't make any difference except it denies the use of dedicated AES engines, artificially inflating the hardware requirements for Freenet and locking Freenet off affordable always-on ARM platforms - the very platforms you need to keep nodes on 24/7 and grow the network past its seminal current use.

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

We currently use 256-bit block size Rijndael, which isn’t strictly AES. We are slowly moving to using AES, for example, CHKs already use AES via JCA. In theory JCA should allow us to access hardware acceleration. Unfortunately in practice it is not often faster in practice because of the considerable setup costs. However this is based on comparisons of native code, without AESNI, versus pure java code. Also, using JCA may actually be slower than our built-in Rijndael (AES) class; I am looking into this with Eleriseth. Watch this space.

• Add more JavaScript (AJAX) in FProxy

Download bars can be refreshed more often than the whole page, and so on...

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Much of this is implemented but not turned on yet due to bugs. Also in firefox progress bars ARE updated without pulling the whole page; Chrome doesn’t do this because of javascript issues.

• Support more transports - TCP, HTTP, steganography etc

Some of us, "live" behind a restrictive firewall, mine only accepts Http conections and drops others then i cannot connect to the freenet, can you implement standart ports like 80,443,53,1863, etc for connection???

327 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

There has been significant progress on this feature, “transport plugins”, but Chetan’s work is not yet part of the main Freenet, and doesn’t yet support TCP; it only supports packet-like transports, so e.g. cloaking traffic as VoIP to avoid blocking. More work is needed, by me and Chetan, to get this working, but first steps have been taken.

• TCP transport plugin

TCP transport plugin. TCP is much easier to work with router, and transport plugin give us possibility to have freenet-over-https or other less suspicious protocol

82 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Admin →
            • securety level for each friend

Currently you can configure a securety level for all of your friends.
              But there are some friends i know better or not so good. So i would like to configure a level for each of my friends, not for all of them the same.

14 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Really easy system to add friend-connections.

It would be nice if it's a lot easier to make friends connections. If darknet is more secure, I think it should get more attention.
                Find out and try to solve: Why are people not making friend connections?
                One possibility would be that person A could have a (by Freenet generated) link in there signatures (on freemail, FMS or even regular mail). If person B clicks on this link, he is requesting a friends-connection. He should give some information and person A should be able to accept or deny this. If it's agreed, it should be setup automatically.

120 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Remove 24/7 asumption

Most people don't run ther computer and thus nodes 24/7 - only geeks do.
                  By releasing this assumption more people should get to freenet.
                  Things to do:
                  Speed up restarting and reintegration into the network by caching opennet connections 1-2 days.
                  Passive requests so data is coming closer even when offline.
                  Mechanism so many short term IP's don't clutter local files (IP change every few hours)

108 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Admin →

IMHO this is important, but some of the changes needed may be difficult. You are always likely to gain speed from running it 24×7, but there is much we can do to speed up assimilation on opennet. I am hopeful that eventually small set top box type devices will be able to run Freenet… Of course, on darknet, this is way harder, because the darknet may not be connected at all, so we will need long-term requests for it to work.

• user management

If two or more people (in the same lan ...) acces an freenet instance it could be godd if there are "user accounts". So that only the admin can change settings or add friends and "users" can use frost/download or browse freesites but not more...

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Admin →

We will need some sort of user management for Freetalk and Freemail, and we in fact have something like that now. When Freetalk is integrated, it may make sense to extend this login to the wider fproxy. However, separating the global queue to be per-user will require FCP applications to login with a password…

• Share key database with trusted peers

I am running more than one peer (on different computers in different datacenters…). Since all of them belong to me, I really trust them all ;)
                      (My own nodes are connected as Friends, but I run open net on all of them as well; since I don’t know someone running freenet personally)
                      Since I really trust them, it would be ok for me, if those peers would share key lists. So one host has not to ask the other hosts if they have a key since it would know if one of them has it.
                      This should not be a…

33 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

This is planned, see “Bloom filters”, it’s a big 0.9 feature (might make 0.8 but increasingly unlikely), it should improve performance considerably. Because of recent changes ensuring that your local requests are not stored in your datastore, we can do this safely for Friends, and even for Strangers (opennet peers) if we contact them often enough.

• Fix your database engine, It corrupts itself within a day or two of operation.

version 1254 (windows)

problem.

Download/upload queue database corrupted!
                        Your node failed to load the database (node.db4o) which we store persistent downloads and uploads in. This is usually caused by data corruption on disk due to e.g. power failure. The files involved are Y:\Freenet\persistent-temp-17559\ and Y:\Freenet\node.db4o. Please shutdown your Freenet node, and either restore them from a backup or delete them. Also check whether you are out of disk space. This message can also occasionally happen while Freenet is shutting down.

Saved a file from the protected store. OK.
                        Saved another file (100K) from the protected store, it saved as 4K

23 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • porting auto bandwith sensing from azureus

The bittorrent client Azureus, which is also GPL licensed and also written in java does very good work in automatically adjusting the maximum upload speed. Porting this feature to Freenet could maybe improve the overall network speed, because it would allow to upload as much as possible, without interfering (or getting interfered) from other applications or bandwidth sharers.

8 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Admin →

Automatic bandwidth calibration is a good idea. It’s not as easy as it sounds, but we may be able to get something useful from Azureus; when I looked at it last it looked hideously complicated… Also, some auto-calibration systems are probably too aggressive for us, or at least we should ask. At the moment we take half of the uplink limit from UPnP, or ask the user if UPnP isn’t working.

• Implement reinsert on demand

Provide a "reinsert on demand" feature, similar to FreemulET implementation, but as a standard feature.

This would improve sharing of large files, and would make sharing of rarely requested files more reliable.

There are doubts whether on-demand reinsert poses some anonymity risks, but individual user may be given an option whether to enable it or not, whether to always reinsert complete file or individual blocks etc.

257 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Admin →

The Keepalive plugin (unofficial so far) allows you to make sure that particular files remain fetchable. This needs further improvements and it needs to be made an official plugin, but it solves most of the above. For security’s sake, we generally want the original uploader and the people running Keepalive for the file to be different. It is planned to improve Keepalive, make it official, and integrate it into the web interface.

• trailing slashes when uploading USK results in weird error.

USK@***,***,AQECAAE/mysite/0/ results in the very weird error "Meta string used in the key"

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • HTML 5 "video" and "audio" tags

While Firefox 3.1 coming closer and a special version of Opera already supporting it, it would be nice if FProxy could accept "video" and "audio" tags, used in the actual HTML 5 specifications.
                                Native support can be used (without the scripted controls), to "stream" audio and video files, without anonymity issue.

24 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We would have to implement filters for common audio and video formats to make this work. But yes we probably will support these tags eventually (after 0.8). There are even some ideas about pseudo-streaming…

• add steganography (hidden connections) via transport plugins as soon as possible

I use Freenet instead of tor or similar, because I think that we might need a safe harbor for organizing resistance against censorship, soon. Hiding freenet from ISPs by masquerading as other traffic (via transport plugins) is the only way to ensure that ISPs cannot disrupt the darknet (while keeping the general internet alive) when ordered to do so.

This is the main (planned) feature which distinguishes freenet from all other networks, and I think it should be added as soon as possible - and way before a better UI.

Stego attracts the people who want to use freenet for…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                  • Collusion prevention mechanism based on IP address ranges

A very simple but powerful mechanism to prevent colluding sybil nodes from obtaining too many connections with a target node could look like as follows:

Each node seeks for a certain IP address-based diversity in his direct neighbors. That is: the more prefix bits are shared between two nodes' IP addresses, the more likely one of them will be declined as a possible opennet neighbor. Or, generally, a node just has to make sure that the mean distance between the selected neighbors' IPs is as low as possible. (the mean distance could be defined as, say, the average taken over…

12 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • get a second developer

get a second developer to work full time on freenet and think on ways to get the money

remember "if you make what u always make you will get what u always got" so is time to get a different approach on donations

TIP
                                      accepting donation wont help ppl to be anonymous u can accept gift credit cards on Sweden this cards are anonymous

111 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Admin →

xor (the main author of WebOfTrust and Freetalk) is now working for us in a paid capacity. We may want other developers later on, especially as Toad is leaving for uni. Also, we accept bitcoin, which can be somewhat anonymous, and I imagine our paypal account accepts prepaid credit cards.

• Add a 'pause' feature

It would be cool if it was possible to 'pause' a freenet node. I mean, stop all network traffic, warn peers that we are on pause, but keep the node alive.

That would allow short downtimes for online gaming without the hassle of having to restart the node and wait for it becoming usable again.

251 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a good idea, somewhat technically challenging but we have several possibilities for implementing it.

Also, on Mac and Windows, we now have a system tray icon, which allows the user to conveniently start or stop Freenet.

• WebM embed and playback support

Support for WebM embed and playback natively in browsers using HTML 5 embed tags

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)